What will we do about bullying?
1. We will react to a child’s concerns immediately whenever possible, but the child will be reassured that the issues will be investigated within 24 hours and the adult will report back to them.
2. Each child involved in the reported incident will be interviewed / spoken to separately. The child identified as carrying out the bullying will be seen first. Staff may wish to have another adult present.
3. The discussion will indicate that there is a problem, which has been witnessed and that the bullied pupil is unhappy.
4. The Head Teacher logs bullying incidents.
5. The teacher and the bullying child will agree on action to be taken to improve the situation.
6. The bullied child will also be helped to show support and recognition of the situation. Children, who contribute to their own problems, should be helped to understand that their behaviour too must change.
7. Support will be given to all parties. This may require separation during potentially times e.g. playtime.
8. A week later, follow-up talks will check on progress.
9. When appropriate a final meeting of all children involved will be held. This aims to reach agreement for appropriate behaviour and to determine long-term strategies for maintaining co-operative behaviour.
10. The situation will continue to be monitored.
11. If a bullying child does not respond to the above strategies a programme will be developed with the support of parents.
12. Recorded incidents will be reported to the school Governors.