We recommend some simple rules to keep younger children safe online:
- Ask permission before using the Internet
- Only use websites you have chosen together or a child-friendly search engine
- Only email people they know (why not consider setting up an address book?)
- Ask permission before opening an email sent by someone they don’t know
- Do not use Internet chat rooms
- Do not use their real names when using games on the Internet (create a nickname)
- Never give out their home address, phone or mobile number
- Never tell someone they don’t know where they go to school
- Never arrange to meet someone they have ‘met’ on the Internet
- Only use a webcam with people they know
- Tell you immediately if they see anything they are unhappy with.
Go through these rules with your child and pin them up near to the computer. It is also a good idea to regularly check the internet sites your child is visiting by clicking on History and Favourites.
Please re-assure your child that you want to keep them safe rather than take internet access away from them.
For further information please click on the links below: